Big snowstorms make me happy. They slow me down. They remind me that nature is boss, and that I can't control every little detail in life. I relinquish control quite easily anytime nature intervenes. I look forward to shoveling my driveway. However, I did only shovel enough so that I could get my car out in the morning and so the mailman could make it the box. The real lovely part of the evening is that I went for a night x-country ski. There is something very liberating about skiing out your front door. The plows were out in mass, cars were struggling on the road, and school was cancelled. But I can whip around the sidewalks and streets on skis. Everyone else is inconvenienced, and I'm having a ball. I finished my ski at Yama, a Korean restaurant in town, and picked up some yummy veggie udon soup. The Korean staff were entertained by my headlamp, and asked about my goggles which I had put on backwards. I thanked them for my soup, and glided 2 blocks home, soup in one hand, and ski poles in the other. I have an article to read about treating cancer pain, and I have a self-reflection to write for my palliative care elective, and I need to memorize the differences between morphine, oxycodone, hydromorphone, hydrocodone, and oxymorphine before my exam on Friday. Opioids - they all sound the same to me. Instead, I watched an episode of Grey's Anatomy, which is like candy. And I really need to get off the couch and go to bed, because I haven't caught up with that sleep debt. But I really want to watch more Grey's Anatomy and then sleep for 12 hours. But there are patients to be seen and learning to be done tomorrow. There will be a patient younger than myself there with metastatic melanoma. He doesn't have long to live. I was supposed to get him to fill out an advance directive today, but instead, Dr. B and I got him discharged so he could have a break from the hospital for a night. The advance directive is more important, and more difficult to confront. But I believe we spread some joy by giving him a night off.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Nature is Boss
I had a lovely evening in Hanover. It snowed all day, and my ruler in the driveway says we got 8 inches. I got out of work on time, although I was still the last one on my team out. I'm still a bit slow writing my notes. It's almost like I'm not doing my patients justice unless I add every little detail. The reality is that few people read my notes even though there in the electronic chart. I always read the medical student's notes - I think they are the most thorough.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
How come the melanoma wasn't caught earlier? What is an advance directive?
ReplyDeleteAn advance directive is a legal document that protects your values and wishes in the event of a life-threatening illness or accident. It has 2 parts. You can fill out one part or both parts.
ReplyDelete1) Durable Power of Attorney for Health Care (DPOA-HC)
(*more important part).
This allows you to choose a person to speak for you if you were not able to speak for yourself. It is best to select someone who would carry out your wishes in the midst of an emotional situation.
2) Living Will. This gives your DPOA-HC and doctors a guide to your health care wishes. You will check off boxes indicating whether or not you want CPR, a breathing machine, artificial hydration or nutrition, etc in the event that you have a terminal illness or an accident in which there is no hope of recovery.
In accurate, but underused terms, "Would you prefer to prolong death, or would you prefer to die naturally"
Anyone 18+ should have an advance directive. Not having one is selfish! "Some higher being" forbid, you get in a car accident and can't speak for yourself. You just left your family & friends to debate or fight about what should be done...in the midst of their own emotional trauma.
If you would like to protect your personal decisions regarding your health care, fill one out. Google advance directive and your state. They are available online. Ideally, copies should be sent to your DPOA-HC and your doctor. At a minimum, verbally communicate your wishes to your DPOA-HC.
Mom is my DPOA-HC.