Thursday, January 22, 2009

Back to Reality

I haven't written in a while. I just came back from a crazed trip out West where I hit 6 interviews in 4 states over 2.5 weeks. Then I jumped right into a palliative care elective where I am learning to help people die well. I think everyone should take this elective, even if you're not in the medical field. But a more realistic solution is to read Dying Well by Ira Byock. Or The Four Things that Matter Most by Ira Byock. 

I was blessed with many visits with friends during my trip. I had all 3 Reidenbach/Lamborn kids visit me while I was taking a shower. I got to watch Leah Jones Collins play with her new Christmas toys. I had my favorite Chinese food in Palo Alto. Speaking of food, I was able to squeeze in Thai, sushi, Mexican, Ethiopian, and Spanish into my trip. Thank goodness I got my fill before returning to the mediocre ethnic food in Hanover. I was even cultured during my trip - Dad took me to see The Color Purple in Denver. And we checked out the sale at the monstrous REI. Dad lucked out more than I did. Visiting Cameron & Mark, Katie & Eaton, Kelly & John Mark, Uncle Tom & Jane, cousin Jimmy, and Uncle Brock were also highlights. Now, I have a dirty house, an unpacked suitcase, a sleep debt, and a bunch of anxiety regarding my future home & job. But I like my palliative care rotation and the spanish classes I'm trying at night.

1 comment: